Re: Salaries

Subject: Re: Salaries
From: David Locke <dlocke -at- PHOENIX -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 03:48:33 -0500

At 10:03 AM 7/24/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>I found the STC salaries low, too.
>
> I think that when you look at the big picture, taking everyone into
account,
>averages are always low.
>
><snip>
>
> To determine your salary as a technical writer for a given area, do what I
>did: ask an HR person at a large company (presumably a friend's company) for
>their salary information. Being HR types, they're privy to all sorts of
>demographic and statistical data regarding salaries. They have to have some
>idea of what to offer too and they have publications, journals, and
whatnot to
>help guide them. You could use this yourself to get a more accurate idea of
>your particular area, industry, etc.

HR will not give you the best answer. They will tell you what they pay and
unfortunately that is influenced by salary surveys like STC's or worse
Source EDP's which is very low.

I work for ISVs and I expect to be paid what they pay their programmers. If
you don't ask you won't get it. And, if we don't exert any upward pressure
on wages they won't go up.

I remember getting an offer at 18K. I was making 13K at the time waiting
for an entry level job. I didn't take that job. I wasn't going to do TW
work for less than 28K. I started at 37K. I still don't get programmer
wages, but get closer every year.

If they offer you an office with a window or any other intangible, get it
in writing. I just lost mine. I usually look for a new job when that happens.

David