Re: Rules in tables

Subject: Re: Rules in tables
From: "Klopfenstein, Ed (AFS)" <EdK -at- ACCU-FAB -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 12:04:37 -0700

Chris wrote:
Recently I got a review back from my boss (who is not a TC professional)
and he asked me to put horizontal & vertical rules in all my tables.
I operate on the "minimum ink" principle (thank you Edward Tufte), and
don't use rules unless the table has so many columns that I have to
scrunch it horizontally, or the cells are irregular

Well, Chris:

State your case as best you can (knowledge of industry documentation
standards helps at times like this).

But, when you get down to it, even if your boss wanted graphics of
little green men in disco outfits printed on each page, that's his call.
Just keep notes, so if his boss gets upset at you for that faux pas,
you've got the five Ws for protection.

Just a thought.

Ed Klopfenstien

Technical Writer