salaries

Subject: salaries
From: Kenny Cherry <dad -at- NETWALK -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 13:15:59 -0400

Just thought I'd drop my thoughts on the salary thing since people are starting to post notes that mention both hourly and yearly rates in the same message without really explaining the translation.

My belief is that a $22,000 per year salary equates to about $11 per hour, even if you consider benefits and Social Security, and all the other perks that consulting firms like to throw at you when they're explaining why they can't possibly pay you more.

So, a writer making $22 per hour is making darn near $44,000 per year on an equivant salaried basis.

Meanwhile the typical billing rate (at least in Ohio) is $45 - $50 per hour. So your consulting firm (if you're working through one) is pretty much recouping your salary and making it over again in profit....make sure you consider what you're getting from them in the process.

Ken (dad -at- netwalk -dot- com)