Re: Agencies

Subject: Re: Agencies
From: John Glenn <sfarmh1 -at- SCFN -dot- THPL -dot- LIB -dot- FL -dot- US>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 06:36:36 -0400

Our marketing type came over the other day and said she had
a job in which I might be interested.
TW with DB maintenance and possibly pc support on the side.
My first reaction was: DB maintenance? PC support? TAHT'S
NOT TWing.
Then I got to thnking.
I could stand to learn more about DBs .. maybe then I would
know how to take the data from my TW-appropriate Web form
and stick it into a database (so I don't have to work so
hard coding it later).
There are also a couple of off-the-wall programs I can
learn to throw into my bag o'tricks.
As far as pc support, no one's gon'na ask me to pop open a
box ('tho I've done that) ... mostly there will be Qs about
standard s/w ... the same Qs I get in-house from our
programmers.
Besides, the job is only 6 months (at this point -- not
having taken ''won'' job -- that seems long enough).
One of the reasons I make the big bucks -- and in my
geographic area, I am one of the best rewarded W-2 TWs -- is
BECAUSE I (a) have varied writer-related skills and (b) I am
willing to take on additional tasks.
I've been a TW for only a few years (since '76 - and I had a
professional life before that) and it has been my experience
that versatility is a valuable commodity.

John Glenn
sfarmh1 -at- scfn -dot- thpl -dot- lib -dot- fl -dot- us