Today, Tech Writer; Tomorrow, ...?

Subject: Today, Tech Writer; Tomorrow, ...?
From: AlumsHubby -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 16:05:01 -0400

I'm going back to school this fall to resume working on a bachelor's degree.
When I dropped out twelve years ago, I was working toward a B.A. in history
with a minor in German because it looked like the quickest way to graduate.
I had neither a degree nor meaningful TW experience, so I wanted to hit the
labor market with at least the sheepskin.

(Pause while all of you groan, "Not *this* thread again!"...)

Now I'm planning to work on a B.S. in Computer Science. My reasons are
threefold:

(1) I want a degree that, combined with twelve years' experience in TW, will
suggest I'm competent in my chosen field of software documentation

(2) I'm thinking about becoming a programmer, and full immersion (one class'
worth per semester) likely will be more effective than self-teaching in
determining whether I have the aptitude and continued interest

(3) I'd like to be able to participate more in the analysis and design phases
of projects instead of coming in (typically) at their conclusion

At the risk of flaming me for restarting an E-mail fight over (1)...anybody
have any suggestions or caveats? Pls email me privately *unless* you insist
on broadcasting to the group. If responses stay civil and informative (or
at least interesting), I'll summarize in a future posting.

TIA,

Bill McClain (mailto: alumshubby -at- aol -dot- com)