Dress Code and Resume

Subject: Dress Code and Resume
From: Melonie Holliman <mrh -at- ABMDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 08:35:22 +0000

Howdy,

About dress code, every Austin high tech firm I have worked at
or with has required Business Casual M-Th and Jeans Casual
Friday. Every one of them gets Jeans Casual during the week
and Shorts Casual on Friday. Personally, I just make sure I
look nice (I will even wear shorts during the week as long
as they are dressy). It is really funny to see all of the
people who could care less about dress clothes attempt to
dress up. They usually look 10 times worse than when they wear
a polo and jeans. Our company is VERY relaxed. We can wear
just about anything that is tasteful. When we will have
visitors which management wants to impress, they send us an email
saying "Dress up tomorrow".

About Resumes: I put all of my skills and experience (arranged by
by topic) on the front page (which is what they are most interested
in, IMHO). Then I put a run down of past jobs, my education info, and
professional associations on the second page. I have never had
negative or possitive comments about it; however, I have never
gone long without a job. I think the majority of interviewers are
interested in what you have done and can do first. Then, if that
catches their eye, they want to know more about you.

Melonie Holliman
The Tech Writer
ABM Data Systems, Inc.
Austin, TX