sans serif fonts

Subject: sans serif fonts
From: Dianne Walsh <ldwalsh -at- VOICENET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 11:30:30 -0400

Buck wrote: the argument for sans serif fonts is indefensible.

Well, here's a defense:

My company publishes some of its smaller manuals as booklets; i.e., pages are set up in Word at full size and then we use a print utility to literally "shrink" them to half-size. It didn't take us long to find out that serif fonts looked terrible and were virtually unreadable when reduced. We got much better--and more readable--results using a sans serif font (good ol' Arial).

Someone else--I think it was Pat Gantt--said that she had understood that research showed sans serif fonts to be more readable. I've read that too, somewhere. She wasn't making it up.