Re: Need Interview Advice

Subject: Re: Need Interview Advice
From: Amy Brown <abrown -at- OPENMARKET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 17:54:04 -0400

Cheryle Wiese wrote:

>Hi folks,

>I am going on a second interview for a Documentation Writer >position
>this afternoon and am in a slight state of *panic*. Any >responses
>(private email is fine)to the following questions would be >very much
>appreciated:

>1) If the interviewer does not mention salary or benefits, >should I
>bring it up? How? It wasn't even hinted at in the first >interview, so I
>haven't the foggiest what they are offering. I need to know, >because I
>have a first interview another company on Thursday and want >to be able
>to make an "apples to apples" comparison, should it be >necessary.

Are you going through a headhunter? If so, the headhunter should have
asked you what you wanted in terms of salary, and looked only for those
positions that would give you what you wanted.

If you aren't going through a headhunter: I wouldn't start comparing
apples (at least in terms of salary & benefits) till things got more
serious. I don't think it's bad practice to ask about benefits on the
first interview, but I wouldn't ask about salary. I'd let them make the
first move on that.

The job aspects I would examine would be those apparent on the first
interview: what your responsibilities would be; whether or not you liked
the people you spoke with; work environment (dress code!!); etc.

If they ask you how much money you want on the first interview, give them a
figure that's higher than what you need.

They'll start talking money when they get serious. And hopefully more than
one of your prospects will be serious!

>2) If a job offer is tendered by "company a" is it >appropriate to ask
>for some time to consider the offer?

Always!

>If so, how much time?

I'd ask for a week. Some folks might ask for two. In any event, ask for
enough time to inform company "b" that you have an offer from company "a".
If "b" wants you, they'll speed up the process.

Of course, if you want to work for company "a" rather than "b", all of the
above is moot.

>3) In the first interview with "company b" would it be >appropriate to
>mention that I had recently interviewed with another >company, and was
>curious as to when they would be narrowing the field for >second
>interviews?

I wouldn't. Just my style: I prefer to turn on the heat only if I'm in a
_very_ good negotiating position.

Again, if they want you, have the resources to hire you, and are
well-organized, you can expect to hear back from them in a few days if
they're interested. (If you don't hear from them in a reasonable amount of
time, as far as I'm concerned, that should be the end of your inquiry.
I've learned this the hard way -- one company that got a sample from me in
November but didn't invite me for an interview till April was _not_ worth
the hassle.)

>Why do I ask? History. Two years ago, in another profession, >I was
>interviewing with two companies for similar jobs. One >company offered me
>a job, but I really wanted to work for the other company. >So, I bought a
>little time and called the second company and told them my >situation.
>They responded with a job offer. Is this peculiar?

Not at all. It's how I got my current job! Enjoy the seller's market
while it lasts: it won't be around forever. You deserve the job you want
the most.

Good luck!!!

Amy Brown
abrown -at- openmarket -dot- com