Re: Is a browser "insecure" or "nonsecure"?

Subject: Re: Is a browser "insecure" or "nonsecure"?
From: Iain Harrison <iharrison -at- SCT -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 08:41:36 GMT

Is a browser "insecure" or "nonsecure"?

To me, 'insecure' implies that the security is insufficient, and that
there is a significant security risk, but nonsecure means that the
browser is not secure in the sense that confidential information can
safely be passed.

As an example, this mailing list is nonsecure, in that more or less
anyone can read it, on the list, in the archives or on usenet.

As far as this message is concerned (no secrets here), the security
level is appropriate, so it is not insecure.

There are two provisos to this, however:

1. I really do not like the word 'nonsecure'. Perhaps it should be
hyphenated, but as it is, I dislike it.

2. Every time I post to this list, I get another wave of spam emails,
selling me unwanted business 'opportunities' and stuff about
pornographic web sites. I delete them unread, but they are an
irritation, so perhaps the security is not sufficient after all.

Iain (no spam email please) Harrison