experience sharing vs bashing

Subject: experience sharing vs bashing
From: John Engler <jengler -at- SPILLMAN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 16:25:48 -0600

At the risk of propagating an already-worn-out thread, I want to say
that I don't think the issue we should be debating is degreed vs.
non-degreed. But there are two problems I think the issue creates. One,
we don't have a "technical writing" canon or common background that
would help connect us in the profession. Two, by continuing the bashing,
we're creating a further division among us.

I think we would help ourselves by sharing (as some have) with each
other what we learned from being degreed or by going right into the
workforce. We don't need to let this divide us; we need to use it to
unite us by learning from each other's experience.

As for my sharing, I have a bachelor's degree in English. And I want to
point out that I enjoyed getting my degree. It sounds like a lot of you
out there didn't or believe that you wouldn't. I appreciate those who
struggled to get their degree; I didn't struggle, however. I enjoyed the
college life (I was married w/ children for most of it, if that means
anything). And I also appreciate those who didn't bother with a degree;
I did, however. And I don't think I would've enjoyed going straight to
work.

I must confess, however, that now that I've entered the workforce (been
there for two years), I've found that I don't enjoy school as much. Late
last year, I started work on a Master's in writing, but it just wasn't
the same. Taking classes seemed more like hoop-jumping, and I didn't
have the same drive now that I've moved to a different phase of life. So
I've decided I'm content with the level of *formal* education I have.
However, I still feel the need to continue learning, and I have had many
opportunities to do this at work. I have to say, I've been rather
content with the profession (although it seems to suck out all my juices
for other kinds of writing--BTW, how do you who do other writing deal
with that?).

John Engler
Technical Writer
Spillman Data Systems