Defensible assertions?

Subject: Defensible assertions?
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 08:18:49 -0500

Nancy Hoft asked for opinions on a few assertions in a book
she was editing:

<<Do you agree that the majority of technical communication
is paper-based?>>

Yes. Computers are pretty widespread, but they're by no
means the only game in town. For example, there are more
telephones, cars, toasters, and VCRs in the world than
there are computers... and none of these devices include
any form of online docs. Online will become increasingly
prevalent, but outside the computer industry per se, it
will be essentially nonexistent until someone develops a
cheap (<$100) device with the size and functionality of a
paperback book that can replace a printed user manual.

<<First, they argue plausibly that the majority of
technical communication in the workplace is still
paper-based and that many students will be entering
companies where they could certainly get by with little
more than basic word processing skills.>>

See previous comment re. ubiquity of paper. As for the
latter, this is an old, old, recurring debate on techwr-l:
"Is it more important to hire a good writer or a good tool
user?" The consensus is that there's no consensus. Me, I'd
pick someone with the writing skills provided they can
learn to use the software. Others disagree. YMMV.

<<Second, these instructors argue that their courses are
intended to teach technical communication, not computer
literacy.>>

And that's true if you accept _my_ prejudice that
communication, not tool use, is the more important
criterion. I doubt that any credible programme would
completely exclude an introduction to the various tools,
but that's another story. Extreme example: It's still
pretty common (in my experience with biological research)
for highly intelligent, technically competent researchers
to hand-write their papers and have someone else type and
format them. Others are basically able to type, but
completely immune to the concept of word processing. YMMV.

<<What do you think of the word "forbidding"?>>

Perfectly legitimate in the context you cite. Check a good
dictionary. "Intimidating" might be better for a really
general audience.

<<Do you think that your employers will be willing to
train new hires in technical communication on how to use a
computer to do their jobs?>>

Depends entirely on the competition for the job. If you
find only one irreplacable candidate, whose only defect is
that they're computer illiterate, you may very well have to
provide such training. For most writing-based jobs, there
will be so many candidates who _do_ have computer skills
that my "irreplacable candidate" scenario is becoming
increasingly implausible. That's not to say that employers
should expect to hire Bill Gates for minimum wage;
employers have the responsibility to provide some training
too, particularly if the tools or demands of the job
change. Others would disagree vehemently.