Re: What is right

Subject: Re: What is right
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 15:29:03 -0500

"3 8 hour days" looks too much like "38 hour days."
I don't like putting numbers together like that, even written out-
confuses people.
Even "three eight-hour days" or "three 8-hour days" is awkward.

You are trying to say two different things at once:
1) It took three days.
2) A day is defined as eight hours.

Why do you have to define the length of a day at this particular point?
Do you use multiple definitions in the context?

I'd go for
"... three days (8 hour) ..." or
"... three work days ..." or even
"... three days. A lab day is 8 hours."
if it's necessary to specify the length of the day at all.
I like the last one best - two ideas, two sentences.

Mike Huber
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com