Reference on freelance rates and contracts

Subject: Reference on freelance rates and contracts
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 10:35:02 -0500

Apologies for cross-posting this, but there's a low enough
degree of overlap between CEL and techwr-l that I thought
this would be relevant to both:

One of our recurring themes is how to charge for freelance
work, and how to handle various other important details
(e.g., contracting, negotiating, sales of rights,
copyrights). For those who are interested in this
discussion, I've come across a book (reviewed on pages
180-183 of the 2nd Quarter 1997 issue of _Technical
Communication_) that should prove interesting:

National Writers Union. 1995. National Writers Union guide
to freelance rates and standard practice. (Published by
NWU, Cincinnati, OH). 202 p. $19.95 (softcover).

The review is generally favorable, despite some
reservations about NWU's survey methodology. (Not being
associated with NWU, I also have some reservations about
the effect of their political agenda, even though I favor
the direction they're headed.) I haven't read the book, so
I can't comment further. Worth a look, though.