Re: No-compete agreements

Subject: Re: No-compete agreements
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 13:01:59 GMT

>I have heard of (and signed) no-compete agreements ever since I started my
>first job 40 years ago, but they were always, without exception, aimed at
>protecting intellectual properties, patentable discoveries, proprietary
>information, etc. I am having a hard time stretching such an agreement to
>include the creation of documentation,
<snip>
I also found that non-competes were generally aimed toward equipment
or software design. It always made me somewhat uncomfortable signing
them, because I knew they weren't protecting me or my client from
anything. (I know, it's just a piece of paperwork they're told to have
completed by the contractor, but it still feels wrong.) To address the
real concerns, I added clauses to the contract I have my clients sign.
One assigns copyright; the other promises that I won't run around
disclosing all the fascinating things I learn from them to their
competitors.

Barb
Barbara Philbrick, Caslon Services Inc.
Technical Writing