Re: Do you need a degree?

Subject: Re: Do you need a degree?
From: "Jody R. Lorig" <jlorig -at- KAVOURAS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 09:04:52 +0000

> Tracy Boyington wrote:

<snip>
> BTW, here's a wild-guess theory as to why some might require their TWs
> to have a degree... maybe other jobs on a similar salary scale require a
> degree, and they're afraid people will complain that they should be paid
> more than those whose jobs "don't even require a degree, for crying out
> loud." I don't feel this way, of course, but I can see it happening,
> especially in a very structured organization.

I once applied for a position as a technical writer at one company
that told me straight out the reason they would not consider
anyone without at least a bachelor degree. The reason was because if
that person were to move into management and other degreed people
working for him/her were to find out that there was no degree, there
could be a lot of friction about why they were passed over for this
position. After all, in their opinions, they would be more qualified.

IMHO, it appears that sheepskin means more than knowledge to some
people. By the way, I have found that there is no substitute for
having a college degree AND a wide diversity of knowledge.

Jody Lorig (speaking for myself and not the company)
Publications Manager
Kavouras Inc.

We don't make weather, we only show you what it's doing.