Re: success with finding jobs

Subject: Re: success with finding jobs
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 16:29:45 GMT

Carl:

I think the combination of psychology and philosophy is an excellent
background to have for a technical writer. As an employer, I would
take any degree program, and particularly psychology, as a plus over
nothing at all.

As far as asking "how did you get into tw": I ask this question of
everyone I interview, regardless of background (if the candidate
doesn't have a tw background, I ask why they want to get into it). It
can be a great indicator of motivation and interest in the career.
Plus, since it only became a "real" profession in the not so distant
past, many people have interesting stories about how they found out
about tw and when they decided it was for them.

Barb

> I refrain from listing my education on my resume. Earlier this year I
> had 3 solid job offers (St. Louis & Kansas City, USA). Of course, the
> subject arises during the interview. But since my BA is in Psychology
> & Philosophy the question that invariably follows is, "How did you get
> into technical writing?" Difficult as those pesky interviews are, I've
> always been led to believe I was called due to (1) 5+ years experience
> (2) the excerpts from my portfolio I include with the resume.
>

> carl

Barbara Philbrick, Caslon Services Inc.
Technical Writing