Re: Courses to take

Subject: Re: Courses to take
From: Pat Gantt <pagantt -at- POSTOFFICE -dot- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 07:02:35 -0500

Agreed!

> Take computer courses! Take technical courses!
> You've demonstrated an ability to write through school and
> marketing-related experience.
> Now, learn how to log in on a UNIX workstation! Learn to use
> FrameMaker and RoboHelp!
> Learn to read OMT diagrams!

Ah but where?

Several colleges within universities are
offering such... i.e. Information Science (used to be
library science), Engineering, Communication,
Computer Science, Human Resource Development, College of Ed.
(multimedia/authoring/instructional technology), to name a few...
not just English Departments or English Ed.

I have also taken classes in the much malined community college
system. To tell you the truth, I find these courses offered under
computer science or information science (used to be secretarial)
to be of much more help. They are hands-on, have a smaller
instructor-student ratio, and in general a friendlier atmosphere
for young students and the nontraditional alike. I have been
a student *and* an instructor in both tertiary levels. Don't
tell anyone but some university professors sometimes "sneak off"
and teach in community colleges too. (Generally considered in
academia as a giant stepdown, go figure.)

Some other alternatives: adult ed. classes offered in some
high schools/community centers/career one-stops,
private enterprises computer "learning" centers...

Remember you are paying for this so make sure you are
taught what you want to know!

Another secret... students have more power to suggest course changes,
curricula, "real" instructor evaluative input, academic policies, and
the like more than they know! Universities are feeling the crunch to
become more consumer-oriented because of competition from outside
forces -> largely community colleges and private companies.

Discontinuing tenure is occurring in many, many states now.
This is good news for the students in the main... (bad for
instructors and professors ;-(

More and more universities are actually taking a look at
professor evaluations and course offerings related to "real"
world skills. This can be a very painful adjustment.

Universities are not as dependent on research, research,
research and are actually going back to instruction,
instruction, instruction. Shhhh these are secrets ;-)

Please don't grade me on my Anglish ;-0

Sorry this is so long-winded but if you want to
read about these trends, here is an unabashed plug...

http://votech.miningco.com/library/weekly/mpreviss.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Best Regards,
~~~~,,.
~~~~~~(o o)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~oOO==(_)==OOo~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pat Gantt
Personal email ~ pagantt -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net
The University of Tennessee, M.S. HRD
VoTech Guide ~ The Mining Company
Business Mail ~ votech -dot- guide -at- miningco -dot- com
http://votech.miningco.com
GO VOLS! .oooO Oooo.
( ) ( )
\ ( ) /