Re: Do you need a degree?

Subject: Re: Do you need a degree?
From: Jennifer Jelinek <jlkraus -at- AMETEKWATER -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:31:25 -0500

I missed the start of this thread, so I hope I'm not being redundant...

Do you need a degree to be a good tech writer? No, I don't think so. I also
don't believe that a degree in tech writing necessarily makes you a good
tech writer, just as having a degree in creative writing doesn't necessarily
make you a great novelist. A degree in tech writing provides two basic
benefits: something on your resume that will get you in the door for that first
job (worked for me!) and a foundation of knowledge on which you can build
certain skills. I guess in my opinion, that's the best thing that a university
program can do for someone, in any field. It provides certain resources, or
knowledge of certain resources, that a person can use in the "real world" to
advance their own knowledge and experience. I think some people expect a
university program to "make them into something," and it just doesn't work
that way. But it can be a useful (but not necessary) tool in making oneself
into something. <she says, straddling the fence>

I graduated (undergrad) in December, and I'm just starting to toy with the
idea of going back to get an advanced degree. I'm thinking about getting a
degree in training or something similar, to get a different perspective on
technical communication. But right now, the best "education" I can get is
coming on the job... I have two manuals, a whole folderful of sell sheets,
and a web site that are all begging my attention:)

Jennifer Jelinek
Tech Writer/Web Wonk
Ametek Water Filters
Sheboygan, WI