Lost formatting?

Subject: Lost formatting?
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 12:28:13 -0500

Connie Vivrett posted: <<Within our own organisation, [the
template] works well. In this case, everyone has the
template loaded on his or her machine. [But] when a
document based on the template is e-mailed to someone
outside of the company. It loses all of its formatting.>>

Without knowing exactly what you mean by "loses all
formatting", I suspect that the problem is very simple: If
you're using a template with the same name as one that
already exists on someone else's machine, the local
template will probably be used in place of the one
specified in the file. If the template doesn't exist on the
other person's machine, then you'll truly lose all the
formatting. Why? Because templates are usually stored
_outside_ the file, and the wordpro goes to the _local_
hard disk when it reads the line of the file that says "Use
template A to format this text".

If I'm right, the solution is simple: give your template a
unique name that won't exist on the computers of users who
receive the file by e-mail, and send it along with the
wordpro file to the people at the other end of the e-mail
chain. (Provide instructions on how to copy the template
into the appropriate directory on their hard drive.)
Another possibility: If format is that important, would an
Adobe Acrobat file represent a better solution?