Headers & footers - what to put in them?

Subject: Headers & footers - what to put in them?
From: John -dot- Cornellier -at- PARIS -dot- IE -dot- PHILIPS -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 16:15:58 +0200

Studies have shown that certain fonts are easier to read, people look at
certain parts of the pg. first, etc. Have such analyses been made about the
usefulness or otherwise of header/footer information?
Is it better to put page numbers in the header or in the footer?
What with all the neat tools in Word & Frame, I can hardly resist filling
the headers & footers with chapter names, section names, document titles,
version numbers, 256-colour company logos, 3-D scratch 'n sniff areas,
holograms.... I mean the tools are there & I took the trouble to learn how
to use them, so I should use them, right?
But then again, do people _need_ to be reminded on every page which
document they are reading? Or is it just more clutter?
<asbestos> I have the "MS Manual of Style", "Read Me First!" "Chicago" on
order. I expect they're in a boat somewhere between Paris and the Sargasso
Sea.</asbestos>
John -dot- Cornellier -at- paris -dot- ie -dot- philips -dot- com