Re: Question about release notes

Subject: Re: Question about release notes
From: Alexia Prendergast <alexiap -at- SEAGATESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 13:26:33 -0400

I've seen it done both ways -- "long and verbose" and "short and sweet".
Here's my preference, which meets the needs for accessible and
complete information.

The release notes describe:
-New features
-Fixes
-Enhancements
-Known problems
Each category consists of concise descriptions in table or list form.
(Some companies have different, obscure euphemisms for these terms
depending on how much they actually think they can get over on their
customers.)

In addition to the release notes, the customers might get the
following documents:
-Installation Notes (if the procedure has changed)
-Documentation Addenda (if there is a bunch more functionality,
new screens, procedures, etc.)

I *don't* lump the information together in one doc because each
doc has a different purpose, audience, and life span.
--
Alexia Prendergast
Senior Technical Writer