ADMIN: Re: Free Speech on the Net and Posting Rules

Subject: ADMIN: Re: Free Speech on the Net and Posting Rules
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 15:48:21 -0600

An open message: (I usually address these postings off-line, but this
one and the accompanying ones merit comment
on the list.)

At 04:54 PM 7/7/97 -0400, DoreenM520 -at- aol -dot- com wrote:
>I predict this posting will precipitate "this is offtopic" and "here all
>your rules and regs" postings.

Yes.

In general, if you don't like this service,
I strongly encourage you to sign off. Or start your own list.
Or whatever. But as long as you're on this list, you must abide
by the rules.

The rules were developed over a period of years so
that everyone on the list doesn't have to
deal with this kind of crap. If you have an issue,
take it up with me directly. I'm often reasonable.
For example, although Bill doesn't
agree with the outcome, the recent C-word
poll was a direct result of Bill's pointing out that I
might have been hasty in forbidding the discussion.
As many people on this list know, I tend to be fairly
accepting of suggestions or changes in list management.

That said, I don't have time for this garbage, and my email
indicates that others don't either.

I've suspended your posting privileges effective
immediately because of your flagrant infraction
of the posting rules (first paragraph, end of this
message). E-mail me off list if you choose to
take an active and on-topic role in future discussions.

From another posting:
Q: How do I unsubscribe?
A: Send a message to:
LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU

Put anything on the subject line, and include on the
first line of the message:
UNSUB TECHWR-L

Generally speaking, I don't have the time or
patience right now to deal with anyone's free speech
discussions or "I'm so mistreated because
..."

Period.

According to the rules established by Oklahoma State
University (the list host), someone has to take responsibilty
for the list. I take responsibility for it, and I take full
responsibility for ensuring that it is a worthwhile resource
for as many people as possible. If it isn't a worthwhile
resource for you, either talk with me offline about how
to make it more useful to you, or sign off.

Eric