Re: A or An?

Subject: Re: A or An?
From: "Ridder, Fred" <F -dot- Ridder -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 08:56:34 -0400

Sorry to disappoint you, but this is nothing new, nor is it improper.
According to _Webser's Ninth New Collegiate_:
"Before unstressed or weakly stressed syllables with initial _h_,
both _a_ and _an_ are used in writing <_a_ historic> <_an_
historic> but in speech _an_ is more frequent whether /h/ is
pronounced or not."
Just think for a moment about how unnaturally one has to empahsize
the "a" when speaking the phrase "a historic" vs. "an historic".
To my ear, that empahss seems totally at odds with the use of the
indefinite article. The use of "a" vs. "an" is supposed to be governed
by the ear rather than by spelling rules. I'm not normally a big fan
of the slow-talking Mr. Rather, but I do agree with him on this issue.

Fred Ridder (mailto:f -dot- ridder -at- dialogic -dot- com)
Senior Technical Writer
Dialogic Corporation, Parsippany, NJ

And to keep our marketing people happy:
Get the Dialogic Edge at: http://www.dialogic.com