Re: FWD: Students, STC, and Student Chapter--Need Advice

Subject: Re: FWD: Students, STC, and Student Chapter--Need Advice
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 08:26:23 -0500

>At this point, I see the options as this:

>1. Don't do anything (not acceptable)
>
>2. Make our opinions known to the group that students members are important
>and that we want to be involved.
>
>3. Start a student chapter that would make STC more accessible to students
>and make the students feel more enfranchised to the profession of technical
>communciation.
>
>What are your thoughts on the situation and do any of you have suggestions
>on how to proceed?
>
>Thank you.

I'm frankly a little miffed at my colleagues if the situation is as bleak as
pictured here. One of the very reasons why I joined and stay with STC in the
Hoosier Chapter is because I got such fabulous help and support when I was
just getting known here, and the help and support we continually give to
others, including students. We don't get *enough* students. I've never known
a better bunch of people than STC'ers. I'm a bit shocked by the reaction you
got. Is this perhaps a huge chapter that just can't deal with what it sees
as peripheral issues?

One step I'd take is to call the regional sponsor and talk with him or her.
Get that person's advice. Most sponsors are smart, experienced and
battle-toughened. They're not paid and they do a lot of the heavy lifting
for the society. They've usually been local officers, too, so they know the
ropes. In short, they're people who tend to accomplish things. The sponsor
may be able to intercede for you, or can give you help setting up a student
chapter. Find the sponsor's name in the STC administrative directory or call
the national office.

Best of luck to you. And please don't let this episode unduly color your
perception of your future colleagues.

Tim Altom
Vice President, Simply Written, Inc.
317.899.5882 (voice) 317.899.5987 (fax)