Re: Client Wants to Charge for Use of Equipment!

Subject: Re: Client Wants to Charge for Use of Equipment!
From: Wally Glassett <wallyg -at- THEGRID -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 19:05:33 -0700

Matt Ion wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jun 1997 11:45:00 -0500, Joe Sokohl wrote:
>
> > Anyway, she's at the same place as before. Now, however, the
> bean
> > counters have presented her with a hard-ball attitude (vis a vis
>
> > contract): They want to charge her for rental of their
> equipment,
> > space, telephone, software, etc. Meanwhile, they are requiring
> that
> > she use their equipment (she can't use her own) and that she
> work on
> > site (can't telecommute).
>
> That's just plain absurd. "You must use our stuff, you can't use your
>
> own, and we're going to charge you for rental of our stuff"???
>
> First thing I'd be doing is going over the bean-counters' heads. I
> can't fathom their superior(s) condoning such a bizarre requirement.
>
> If their superior(s) have the same attitude, I'd be heading for the
> door - I can't imaging working in a place that loonie.
>
> My only question is, how much is she supposed to be getting paid? Is
> the figure set in stone yet? If not, I'd be factoring the "rental
> charges" into my fee. How much are the "rentals" supposed to be? If,
>
> for example, the pay was negotiated at $30/hr and they want $30/mo
> "rental" for their gear, I wouldn't worry too much about it, aside
> from
> the "ethical" aspects.
>
> Your friend and mine,
> Matt

Gang:

Not sure where/when this thread started, but this person should have
some real worries, IMO. I've been dealing with the relationships between
contractors/consultants and employers for over 30 years with small
companies, medium sized companies, and Fortune 500 companies in a
variety of businesses and industries, and I've never heard of such a
situation EXCEPT when an organization was trying to 'make someone go
away' without actually terminating them or their contract.

My advice for this person is to get their resume circulating, and find
another employer and/or source of income ASAP. What the 'bean-counters'
are trying to do is almost certainly illegal, but you (she) won't get
anywhere trying to fight them. Find another job, and then look into
suing them. But, the most important thing is to get out of that
environment as soon as you can.

Good Luck,

Wally Glassett