Wordless manuals

Subject: Wordless manuals
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 21:18:04 +0100

Hello Mary,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von thunder -at- IDIR -dot- NET an All am 26.06.97

tt> Does anyone have suggestions about developing wordless manuals?

tt> The product will have an international market,
tt> and it would be very cost-effective, not to say elegant, if we
tt> could do something that didn't need to be translated.

I am sorry to put pater into your wine, but I know of several projects
Mercedes-Benz of Germany had years ago for their trucks:

- It is extremely difficult to develop wordless manuals. You have to
put in lots of work and need a very good graphics artist.

- You cannot hope to do one manual for all markets despite you need
not translate a word. There are BIG cultural differences to be
considered.

A few examples:

- What you see as funny Halloween symbols might be considered
a warning about a deadly danger (crossed bones = poison).

- Look at a video recorder for the Japanese market. You know the symbols:
<< > >> as reverse, play, fast forward. The Japanese model
is quite different: >> < <<

- In many countries you must not use a risen digit as a warning or so.

- There are people much to proud to accept any directives. You must
offer everything as an advice - perhaps by an old man.

Aa far as I know Mercedes-Benz left that idea.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander

--
Alexander von Obert, Urbanstr. 2, 90480 Nuernberg, Germany
Free-lance Technical Writer (electronics, software)