Re: Eliminating Need for Technical Support

Subject: Re: Eliminating Need for Technical Support
From: Stephen Blount <sblount -at- INU -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 19:22:31 -0500

original:

*>Matthew J Long <mjl100z -at- MAIL -dot- ODU -dot- EDU> said:
*>> Do you think that it is possible that the need for technical support for
*>> software be eliminated or at least reduced if the documentation were
*>> written well enough?

reply:

Stuart Burnfield (dire, straight)
>Functional Software Pty Ltd
>mailto:slb -at- fs -dot- com -dot- au

*>Reduced yes, eliminated no.

*>Good software design reduces the need for documentation. Good document-
*>ation reduces the need for technical support, by answering most end users'
*>questions without the need for them to pick up the phone.
<snip>

I must agree that technical support will never be eliminated. For the last
year I have worked for a small software company as both Senior Support Tech
and Technical Writer. The documentation I wrote for the last update was
very well received by the customers; I have even heard that it was the best
that my company has produced. Our support calls still increased by 30% in
the month after the update.

Some things did change. Most users installed the update themselves instead
of hiring someone else to do it. Our average time to resolve an update
related call dropped about 40%. Many times all we had to do was read the
documentation with them on the phone; sort of like offering a soothing
voice to calm ragged nerves. I think this is good evidence of the need for
good documentation, and it is evidence that good documention will reduce the
support burden.

Support will never be eliminated because it is impossible to anticipate
every question that your clients will ask.

It was very educational to field calls directly related to the documentation
that I produced. I recommend it highly.

Stephen Blount
Support Tech/Technical Writer
Synaps Corporation (until July 1st, then who knows)
sblount -at- inu -dot- net