Re: info vs. products

Subject: Re: info vs. products
From: Mc Jdub <wigginje -at- PSSCH -dot- PS -dot- GE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 15:12:00 -0400

I think it is misguided to suggest that we should let users "figure out"
how to use a product "for themselves." Of course in the sense that
users look to documentation for answers they are trying to do just that
(as opposed, for example, to having a "live" person --or not, depending
on where you work-- show them how to do a particular task). But as I'm
sure many know, "figuring it out on your own" can amount to a big waste
of time.

Imagine that you had never seen MS Access, for example, and your job was
to construct a database with specific queries, filters, etc. Without a
very strong affinity for software in general, cue cards, help files, and
a decent manual, my guess is that most people would be fairly mystified
as to where to even begin. I know I would be.

Chandler reportedly believes instead that "We should tell [users] how
the products can meet their objectives," but, as someone else pointed
out (I think it was that excellent post by Stuart Burnfield), we don't
-- and can't -- always know a user's objective(s) in advance. To
paraphrase Burnfield (?), a characteristic of the best software is that
it is used in ways its designers never intended. The same could be
said, I suppose, for a lot of products, not just software. It seems,
then, that the correct way to approach this is to detail what the
product is capable of doing -- that is, to provide *information* -- and
let the user decide what he or she wants to do with that info.

Not to belabor the point, but how often has it also happened that a
user's particular objective was modified upon discovering a previously
unknown feature of the product?

I thought Elna made an *excellent* point regarding the paradigm shift
needed in industry toward emphasizing a new priority for documentation
and information. Products are more complex than ever before;
accordingly, we need information to know what these products are capable
of doing so we can then know what we are capable of doing with them.

Jeff Wiggin
wigginje -at- pssch -dot- ps -dot- ge -dot- com
The opinions expressed above are not necessarily my own, but have been
generated randomly from cross-currents of available discourse.