Re: 'ic' versus 'ical'

Subject: Re: 'ic' versus 'ical'
From: Sunil Gokhale <sunilg -at- PUNE -dot- TCS -dot- CO -dot- IN>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 13:37:29 +0530

Simon,

The difference lies in the fact that one is the OPERATION while the other
is DESCRIPTION - for example we say *logarithmic term* to define an
operation of log (mathematically), whereas we would say the graph is
logarithmical, to describe the nature of the graph.

It is similar to mystic-mystical, where we write - there is mystic in the
air (operation) and the atmosphere is mystical ( description). Similarly
optic-optical, parametric-parametrical.

Sunil Gokhale, Technical Writer
Tata Consultancy Services
sunilg -at- pune -dot- tcs -dot- co -dot- in