Docs. Web Pages, and HTML

Subject: Docs. Web Pages, and HTML
From: Feeman Kevin SC2275 <Feeman_Kevin_SC2275 -at- SATGATE -dot- SAT -dot- MOT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 14:50:27 MST

Hi Gang, I am not sure if this is the place for this posting or not.
Feel free to flame me and let me know where this posting should be
placed if this is not the right forum. However, there is such a
mixture of data here and my question does involve communicating
information...

Little background information. I have documents in two applications:
FrameMaker and Microsoft Word. Previously, many of these documents
did not have a table of contents, list of figures, list of tables,
cover pages were also page 1 of the document with sections starting
after the name of the document, no covers, and a variety of other
issues, you get the idea. This is not a flame to people who where in
the position before me, many of the documents were constantly in flux!
(Hi Bill B and Lisa M.)

So I came along and as the IRIDIUM project progresses, I am creating
new documents, and updating old, using the FrameMaker book feature,
which works great! Now, I have a cover page file, a table of contents
file, a list of figures file (if necessary) a list of tables file (if
necessary) and a main text file that contains all of the information.
The documents are not big enough to break down into individual files,
Section 1, Section 2, Section 3.

I also have a web page, which is internal and I have my own section
upon the server, where I can place those documents for the users to
get to. I can do this in on of three methods:

1. I can just stick the main text document out on the server, create a
link to it in my web page. Then it is up to the user to modify
Netscape's preferences so that they can autolaunch FrameMaker or Word,
which I have been doing. Right now, on the web page, I have a table
cross-referencing the subsystem name and the document name. The user
just has to click on the doc name and if Netscape is setup correctly,
the native application opens and presto, the main portion of the
document is ready to view.

2. I can translate the main text documents into HTML using Quadralay
or other tools.

3. I can create a PDF file of the main text portion of the document
and put it on the web page.

Well, here is the conundrum. I want to put all of the files out on
the web, with links and such, and not just the main text file.
However, Netscape does not handle the FrameMaker book feature, so that
pretty much destroys option 1. I don't know quadralay webworks
publisher enough to know if it will handle the FrameMaker book
feature, but my main guess is now. Would Acrobat Exchange choke on
the book feature as well? Option 2 and 3 are now gone.

Each of these methods seem like an exercise in futility since I would
like to put the cover page, TOC, etc. out on the Web page.

I was given the suggestion of putting the TOC into a HTML file and
creating links to the document. That wouldn't work because remember
that all sections are in one text file and you would have all links
pointing to one file.

The only other thing that I could think of is two have a link to a
page that lists out:

Cover Page
Table of Contents
List of Figures
List of Tables
Text

Each of those would be links to either the text file or an HTML file.

What do you all think? What, in your vast wisdom, would be the
easiest and least bloody? I am trying to minimize the number of
clicks that the user has to do to see the document.

Is having a small page with the five links a good idea? Do I sound
like I am headed in the right direction? Does anyone else have any
other suggestions? Am I missing something? Has anyone else ran into
this problem? How are others putting manuals, created with
FrameMaker's book feature out on the Web.

You can either email me directly or post to the list. I will send out
a summary if anyone cares.

Thanks again in advance for opinions, you guys are a great fountain of
knowledge, (despite the tangents and ramblings of mad men! :)keep up
the good comments.

A good day of communicating to you all!

Kevin Feeman
Technical Communicator
Envision, Mesa Branch
home email: kevinf -at- primenet -dot- com
work email: Feeman_Kevin_SC2275 -at- SATGATE -dot- SAT -dot- MOT -dot- COM