PostScript/PDF headers/footers

Subject: PostScript/PDF headers/footers
From: ckime <ckime -at- PEERLOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 13:02:37 -0700

Do any of you gurus know how I could add headers/footers to a
PostScript file?

Situation:
I'm writing the online documentation for a product using HTML. For
reasons that I won't go into, we've developed a home-grown browser
that does not include any capability for printing the online help. To
provide customers an alternative for getting hardcopy of the online
help, I'm generating PostScript from the HTML-based files and then
distilling to PDF. We plan to distribute the .ps and/or the .pdf files
with the software and tell the customer how they can print those
files. I'd like to add some headers/footers to identify the info,
company, product, etc. If I could do this at the PostScript stage,
seems it should distill and also be in the PDF, heh? Well, I haven't
figured out how to do it with either format!

What I've tried:
I looked at the PostScript generated from a FrameMaker document that
has headers/footers, and searched for the header/footer text to find
the magic coding to no avail (how/where is it stored?!).

Looked at Acrobat Exchange commands and searched online help but found
nothing about specifying headers/footers from this program.

Scanned Understanding_PostScript by David Holzgang and the
PostScript_Language_Reference_Manual from Adobe but found nothing
about documentation type of headers/footers (just headers in context
of file heading info...).

Platform:
Win95 (with some hurdles via NetScape on UNIX to produce the
PostScript)

All ideas appreciated!

TIA,
Carol Kime