Re: Binding question

Subject: Re: Binding question
From: Andy Cheyne <A -dot- Cheyne -at- ISODE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 09:32:20 +0100

Elna Tymes wrote:

>Chris Hamilton wrote:
>
>> Management prefers perfect binding because it looks nice. I'm pushing
>> damn hard for for spiral or GBC because they stay open better and you
>> don't have to put them under your keyboard to hold them open.
>
>If you shop around, you can probably find a local printer who knows how
>to do "lay flat" binding. This is a form of perfect binding that leaves
>the cover part of the spine free from the actual binding, and the
>binding is done using a special glue on the signatures so that the book
>will indeed lay flat when opened.

I believe the name - probably a trade name - for this style of binding is
"Otabind". It's become quite common over the past couple of years: in fact,
you probably have some manuals right in front of you that use this technique
without realising it (it really does look, at first sight, like perfect
binding). For example, the copy of the "Using FrameMaker r5" manual that is
sitting on my desk is bound this way.

Andy Cheyne
Isode Ltd