Re[2]: Redux redux

Subject: Re[2]: Redux redux
From: Kathleen Padova <kpadova -at- ASICENTRAL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 15:54:00 -0500

--------
>I was reading either Windows magazine or Boardwatch (I think it was
>Boardwatch) the other day and they used "redux" in one of their article
>titles.

>Could it be an abbreviation of a more common word?

>- Reduction or reductive seem like the obvious candidates, but the
>meanings of those words don't jibe with how redux is used.

>- Redundancy is a possibility, in the sense of overabundance or
>excessive profusion.

>- Reduplicate means to repeat--that could work, though it would be a
>stretch.

>- And finally, "reductio ad absurdum" means a reduction to an
>absurdity.

I believed Redux was a cutsie abbreviation of Reduction. The only time I ever
heard of the word (before the C-thread) was a feature in Vegetarian Times
called Recipe Redux (boy, did THIS get off topic!). They "reduced" the
fat/calories/animal products in favorite recipes.

Kathleen

kpadova -at- millstar -dot- com