Wooden, Paterno, and Lombardi (Managing skills)

Subject: Wooden, Paterno, and Lombardi (Managing skills)
From: "Larry Kunz ((919) 254-6395)" <ldkunz -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 10:46:24 EDT

Wayne Douglass made some excellent points in replying to my message.

> Larry isn't the first to have taken my list seriously - even though
> I don't take it very seriously myself. The obvious common
> denominator, which I tried to underline in my usual heavy-handed
> fashion, is that Wooden, Paterno, and Lombardi were *language*
> teachers (Paterno used to be - and maybe still is - a tenured
> English professor).

Are you saying there's a correlation between skill in using language
and ability to lead? That's certainly bound to be popular in this
forum; and, IMO, it has the added benefit of being true.

Can we extend the correlation beyond "ability to lead" to "success
in any field," as you seem to be suggesting, and thus apply it to
the C-word debate? I'm not convinced yet, but it's an interesting
thought. (Or have I misunderstood what you said?)

> I like all three because they conveyed a sense that they knew what
> they were doing and emphasized *execution* to their teams. Wooden
> wouldn't even scout his opposition; he told his teams that they
> would probably win if they practiced their team strategy (and
> it changed depending on the kind of team he had) until they could
> execute without thinking about it. They were successful, but if
> they lost they didn't whine about it.

I like this a lot, Wayne. I've observed that successful people in
all fields focus on staying current and doing excellent work -- on
keeping their own houses in order -- not on reacting to what others
are doing. Several people on this list are good examples of that.

Larry Kunz
STC Assistant to the President for Professional Development
ldkunz -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
http://www.networking.ibm.com/eNetwork