Would you hire...

Subject: Would you hire...
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 06:42:26 -0500

Gentle colleagues--

In a previous life, I was a COBOL programmer. I programmed COBOL for
about three years before gratefully moving on. So, now its almost 2000
and there are buttloads of money to be made by COBOL programmers. With
one kid, another on the way, and a wife that stays home to be a mom, the
money sure is intriguing me.

My question is this: if a technical writer were to take a year or two
and program in COBOL because the money is incredible, would it hurt that
technical writer's credibility with you if you were a hiring manager?
All other things being equal, would you eliminate someone from
consideration for a job because of the one to two year sabbatical to
make some money?

I'm probably not going to do anything, but I'm only human and the
money's rrrreeeeaaaallll good.

Chris
--
Chris Hamilton, Technical Writer
Greenbrier & Russel

"Please do not try to confuse the issues with facts!"
-- George Banks, "Mary Poppins"