Re: Eliminating Need for Technical Support

Subject: Re: Eliminating Need for Technical Support
From: Fabien Vais <phantoms -at- ACCENT -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 11:24:04 -0400

Matthew,

You're absolutely right! IN AN IDEAL WORLD, if documentation were perfectly
written, there would be no need for Technical Support.

BUT...

In the same ideal world, if software were perfectly designed, there would be
no need for documentation!

When you buy a mug, or a frying pan, you don't get a User Guide telling you
what the item is for, or how to use it. No one has to tell you that the
little handle on the mug is to pass one or two fingers through and HOLD the
mug upright. No one has to tell you to place the pan on a stove WITH THE
HOLLOW SIDE UP when you use it. These things are obvious because they are
intuitive and quickly learned. Those items have withstood the test of time.

New software that is intuitive (ideal...) would not require any kind of
instructions, even on screen, in order to use. Thus, if it is simple to use,
no need for documentation, and certainly, Technical Support won't be getting
any calls!

So, there are in my opinion two main reasons why documentation often has
such a bad name:

1. Lousy technical writers have been writing those manuals in the past. This
is slowly changing. Better (or excellent) tech. writers are now taking over
the industry, so things are slowly getting better.

2. Because of lousy software design, even the best technical writers have a
very hard time simplifying the interface and user functions of the software.
I've had arguments with software designers about their interface, and all
too often, I'm told that it would be too complicated to simplify things that
much, and that that's the way it's going to be....for now! The classic "for
now!"

I hope this has helped, Matthew. In many cases, all we can do is our best to
provide the clearest possible documentation. Unfortunately, in some cases,
this will still not be enough to stop people from calling Technical Support.
Therefore, I feel we still have a lot more work to do for the next few years
at least.

Fabien Vais
phantoms -at- accent -dot- net