Re: Electrons First, Paper Second

Subject: Re: Electrons First, Paper Second
From: John Russell <jrussell -at- COMMSOFT -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 08:42:26 -0400

Quite a few people have suggested that going from electronic to hard copy was easier than vica versa (hard copy to online).

Is this true? I think I disagree. I have moved hard copy to electronic with relative ease, the few times I have moved electronic to hard copy it has always been significantly more difficult.

Should we chalk this up to writer preference? Or is there a real and quantifiable difference?

K. John Russell
Technical Writer

My comapny is considering electronic/CD delivery as the primary means of =
distributing our documentation collection, and providing hard copy only =
as our customers request it. As I began working a mockup of the =
electronic format, I realized that going from (converting/reformatting) =
electronic to hard copy format was going to be difficult and costly..

I am familiar with "slapping it online," but this process usually refers =
to writing hard copy docs and slapping them into PDFs, or the like. =
That is, hard copy to electronic..

Has anyone out there written for electronic first and "slapped it on =
paper" afterwords? How did you do it? Would you recommend it to =
others? Was it worth it? =20

Any info or opinions will be a great help!

TIA!