Re: Certification Redux

Subject: Re: Certification Redux
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- HOUSTON -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 11:02:31 -0500

Becca Price wrote:

> Arlen wrote:
> >>So while it's all well and good to *say* that a certificate will be
> optional, the reality is that it will either be a completely meaningless
> waste of time and money or it will be a job requirement. There's not a
> whole lot of middle ground between those positions.<<
>
> I'm not so sure that's true. A P.E. is an optional certificate;
> certainly
> I know many excellent engineers who don't have one, but it is by no
> means
> a job requirement.
>
> This is not to say I'm in favor of certification, just a point.

And a good point at that. Reducing a complex issue to two stark,
either-or positions is nothing more than an attempt to stifle
discussion. It's a silencing tactic, as I learned in the last go-round
of this debate, which is why I refuse to take part in the current
incarnation.

As I implied in my post yesterday, I'm waiting for the STC report
stating just what their position is on certification before shooting my
mouth off. I wish others would do the same.

Regards,
Steve

--
Stephen P. Victor Phone: (713) 513-2552
Technical Writer, Software Training Fax: (713) 513-2019