Re: Certification

Subject: Re: Certification
From: Alexia Prendergast <alexiap -at- SEAGATESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 10:10:03 -0400

Response to Shawn, busting his behind, getting a
degree in TW:

Go for it -- there's nothing *wrong* with having
a degree. I think folks are just saying (at least
I am) that it shouldn't be *required*.

Aside: My experience has been that a TW degree is more
helpful when the hiring manager is not a fellow tech
writer. A non-writer will, in general, assume a level
of competency. Experienced technical writers will want
want to see what you can actually *do*.

To get some practical experience, work as an intern/co-op,
do some volunteer work, and get involved with one of the
tech comm groups: acm sigdoc, stc, etc.

Also, make sure you get some technical knowledge of the
field in which you want to write. Learning about tools
and industry trends is a skill you want to develop and
keep developing. Read trade publications. Keep up with
lists like this. Network. BUT DON'T TRY TO KEEP UP WITH
EVERYTHING. I did at one time. You'll burn out. Now I
keep up on a surface level in a lot of areas, specialize
in a couple that interest me and/or are practical, and
know who specializes in the others so I can find out more
details as I need them.

Alexia
--
Alexia Prendergast