Re: Certification Issues

Subject: Re: Certification Issues
From: "Misti Tucker USAET(UTC -04:00)" <mtucker2 -at- E-MAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 17:06:53 EDT

Bill DuBay said:

>It is my position that it is the obligation of the employer to teach us the
>technologies.

That's a lovely point of view, but in my experience it just isn't practical.
Large munti-national corporations may have the budget to take on an apprentice
with a lot of raw talent and spend time and money and education. Most jobs,
though, are to be had in small startup companies that can barely make payroll
until that great idea pays off. Tell the CEO of Smallcorp that she has the
obligation to teach her new techwriter the technologies required to do the job
and guess what...she'll decide she can't afford a tech writer after all. If
her product is documenterd at all, it will be done by a talented secretary
or a bored SME.

In reality the employers only obligation to us is to pay us for services
rendered. The rest is on the barter table to be hammered out at hiring time.

Misti Tucker
Technical Communication mta -at- cyberspace -dot- org (h)
& Help System Design mtucker2 -at- e-mail -dot- com (w)