Re: Certification: My Personal Survey [Ref:C660317]

Subject: Re: Certification: My Personal Survey [Ref:C660317]
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 15:53:40 -0500

> Bill--
>
> I don't need a rhetoric 101 course to see which side of the fence you
>fall
> down on with this argument. Studying rhetoric means, among other
>things,
> a study in the manipulation of data, and your presentation is a case in
> point. Quick, repetitive bullets for those against certification and a
> virtually novella for each point in favor.
>
> Cut it out.

Not only that, he listed the 'against' arguments before the 'for'
arguments. Isn't a 'for and against' discussion done 'for' first and
'against 'second'? Otherwise, it should be an 'against and for'
discussion. By cryptically listing the against first, and verbosely
listing the 'for after, it looked like a rebuttal instead of an
objective listing.

Also, the listing made it appear that the results were evenly split
amongst the respondents. I personally only saw one mild support for
certification in this forum. Or is this the old and tired 'I've
received plenty of EMail in support of my side' argument?

Bill you may have learned a few things about the certification issue.
However, I feel most of us have learned quite a bit more about you.
We'll read your articles. Be sure to read the Letters to the Editor in
the following issue;) By the way, is your degree in journalism?

Mike

Michael Wing (mjwing -at- ingr -dot- com)
Principal Technical Writer
Intergraph Corporation; Huntsville, Alabama
http://www.ingr.com/iss/products/mapping/
(205) 730-7250

"But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good"
-- Paul (1 TH 5:21)