contracting hierarchy, rates, and skills

Subject: contracting hierarchy, rates, and skills
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 15:47:22 EST

A tech writer and contractor friend of mine, who does not have
access to techwr-l, would like me to ask the list to give her the
benefit of its wisdom on some contracting matters.

She suspects that the rates of pay for contractors, from best to
worst, go as follows:

programmer/developer
software tester
tech writer
writer
tech editor
general graphics person
proofreader
word processing person

She would like to hear opinions on this. She would also be
interested to hear rates of pay for tech writers and editors in
various parts of the country. Moreover, she would like to know
what skills (software and otherwise) employers prize most highly
and what they will pay for them. She tells me that as a tech
writer, she gets anywhere from $25 to $40 an hour from agencies
in or near Washington, DC.

<hit upside the head> There, I think I can write in first person
again now.

TIA for your thoughts. I will forward them to my friend.

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
(standard disclaimer)