Re: Levity in the workplace

Subject: Re: Levity in the workplace
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 10:24:32 -0700

Cramer, Kim wrote:

> Paul Branchaud asked:
> >How do you make your job fun?
>
> We trade funny emails (some from this list - thanks!), silly typos (my
> favorite is the "resource allocator" that became "resource alligator" -
> love those spell checkers), and Dilbert cartoons. I'm also fortunate
> that my coworkers have a fantastic sense of humor - really breaks the
> tension when those deadlines are flying by!!
>
> We also go out to lunch together and socialize at least once a month.
> We're not into practical jokes, although we do decorate cubes for
> birthdays.

When we interview potential employees, we make sure to tell them that on
Friday afternoons, we sometimes wind up with Nerf warfare in the halls.
I have my own little Nerf 'derringer' within easy reach in case, as has
happened, a group pops in for an ambush.

While we can't afford the expensive practical jokes Sun employees play
on Scott McNealy on April 1 (such as remaking his office into a putting
green, complete with sod and a water trap), we occasionally booby trap
an office: I came home from vacation last year to find my office
festooned with mag tape which hung from the rafters and covered
everything - I couldn't even see my chair or my monitor. Another
employee came home from a vacation in Ireland to find his office light
switch booby trapped to fire a barrage of Nerf balls at the door. And
another employee came to work on her birthday to find her desk covered
with confetti and streamers.

And we regularly circulate Email funnies - like the list of ten
companies Microsoft wants to buy that appeared on this week's CNET
digest.

Elna Tymes