Searching for a Job when you have one

Subject: Searching for a Job when you have one
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 07:09:04 -0600

Anonymously forwarded on request.
Please discuss on the list -- I can't forward
individual responses back to the sender.

=======================

Does anyone have recommendations for conducting a job search when you
haven't left your current job and don't wish to give notice until you're
sure that you have another job secured? Would you list your current job
by name on your resume and run the risk of your employer finding out? If
not, how would you describe your current work experience on the resume?
At what point would you tell your employer--over the phone, at an
interview, or at all?

Potential employers: how would you like jobseekers to deal with this? Are
you understanding if we can't get recommendations from our current
employers?

Thanks for your help.

--An anonymous tech writer in not quite the right job