Medical Device or Pharmaceutical Drug Company Technical Writers

Subject: Medical Device or Pharmaceutical Drug Company Technical Writers
From: Laura Bean Warner <laura -dot- bean -at- DELTEC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 14:46:02 -0500

On June 10, I inquired about people's interest in communicating with
others writing for medical device or pharmaceutical drug companies. I
received 9 responses as of today from people interested in the medical
technical writers (MTW) group (the name is purely for convenience and
may change).

Many inquired about what I had in mind, but when I wrote the original
message I wasn't sure what format to use. I was trying to get an idea
of how many people were interested first. With so few, I can either be
the contact for the MTW, so anyone in the group can send a message to me
and I'll forward it on to all in the group, or I can send everyone in
the group all the addresses so each person can form a mailing group.
(Those of you who have responded already will receive a test message.
Please respond with your preference about mailing questions to me or
forming your own lists.)

The idea came up because while some of the information on the Technical
Writers List is applicable to many technical fields, some is not. It
seems, _in general_ the majority of the writers on the list are doing
software documentation. (Please remember this impression comes from a
newbie member, and maybe I'm entirely wrong, so please don't be
offended.) So, likewise, some issues that are relevant to the MTW, may
not be applicable to software documentation. Some example topics could
be ISO 9001 regulations, labeling issues, documentation control,
international distribution, regulatory affairs, quality assurance,
medical device gossip . . ..

I can certainly add anyone else who is interested and we may review the
format if interest grows. Or, we can forget the idea altogether and
post to the techwirler's list, but I like the idea of getting to know
who is doing similar work in technical writing.

Thanks,
Laura
(laura -dot- bean -at- deltec -dot- com)