Re: user survey questions -- clarifications

Subject: Re: user survey questions -- clarifications
From: Shorter Rankin <srank -at- PACBELL -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 23:03:43 +0800

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997 12:33:05 -0700, Sarah Perrault wrote:

>Yesterday I posted a question about user surveys. Here are some
>clarifications of the issues involved:
>
>1. I will meet some users. However, I am the only person doing
> documentation, and won't be allowed time for many such meetings.
> A survey would gather a greater mass of information with less
> time/effort on my part.

[snip snip]

Hi Sarah,

When you say Realtor(R) or real estate agent most people imagine
a residential listing/sales agent. In reality that is only a
small part of the business. The field includes sales of farms
and ranches, commercial, industrial, vacant land and lots,
vacation time shares, syndication, exchanges (two kinds - I'll
trade ya my $500,000 dog for two of your $250,000 cats - and
Section 1051 exchanges (with or without Starker provisions)). It
includes 'build to suit' deals, commercial leasing, office
building - shopping center leasing and property management of
all kinds. Any more comments would be off-topic; but you get the
idea.

I contend (as a former Realtor with experience in several of
those areas) that the kinds of people will vary widely as
between these specialties. Their proficiency with hardware will
vary as will their interest in NT. I think that your first step
should be to insure that you get a representative random sample
of your user population. You want to know what their real estate
specialty is. Your product may suggest some first steps for you.
When you say 80 - 90% of the real estate offices use LENI do you
mean the local Century 21 or do you mean Grubb & Ellis? Please
think this through before you go out to the field. The quality
of information you harvest will be better for it. Good luck;
sounds like it could be fun and interesting.

Regards,

Shorter Rankin
Sacramento, CA
srank -at- pacbell -dot- net