Re: Experience VS Ability

Subject: Re: Experience VS Ability
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 17:15:45 -0400

In a message dated 97-06-11 15:43:33 EDT, jeldard -at- PARKCITY -dot- COM (John Eldard)
writes:

<< I would like to suggest that the ability to use
complicated software tools is more critical to the cause than listing a
full corral of tools you are EXPERIENCED or maybe even EXPERT in using. >>
80% 'yes', with a critical 20% 'no'.

A technical writer needs to have actual experience and expertise in a few
basic tools. I worked with someone once who had used Word for the Mac, but
never for Windows. I doubt he'd explored it much on the Mac either. The
result was a disaster. Managing and formatting large documents in any tool
is almost a form of programming with a lot of the attendant 'weird' problems.
You need some understanding of at least the kind of problems which occur.

Plus, part of what creates the flexibility to learn other tools is having an
in-depth understanding of a few. WordBasic holds few mysteries for me since
I've used C and Word for Windows (though not much standard Basic.) Simply
comprehending the difference between a label and the actual thing it
represents (as with automatic fields) is very complicated for some people
with no background in programming. My own background in specific programming
languages makes that simple for me (though studying a little Structuralism -
the 'container' and the 'contained' - didn't hurt either.)

Just as speaking French fluently has made it easier for me to pick up Spanish
and Italian, so knowing a few tools well has made it easier to pick up
others.

I do agree though that the ability to learn new technologies is a skill in
itself, and a very important one in the ever-changing technical world. I
also think that it can be practiced - that is, someone who gets in the habit
of learning new technologies all the time actually gets better at it.

Finally, let's not forget a marketing reality. Having only modified a few
RTF's and compiled a few .HLP files, I didn't put Doc2Help on my resume. But
agents want it on there if you've even touched it - partially for the
client's benefit and partially for their own database searches. Often,
'Experience' is just another way of saying 'Buzzword'.

Jim C.
Los Angeles