Re: STC Certification Survey

Subject: Re: STC Certification Survey
From: Penny Staples <pstaples -at- AIRWIRE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 14:21:33 -0500

I think certification could be a good thing for our profession,
but it depends what we're testing for. I agree that it would be
silly to test for knowlege of a specific computer tool
(FrameMaker, Word, SGML, etc.).

However, as things stand now, anyone who can type can
call him or herself a Technical Writer. Regardless of whether
or not that person can write a grammatically correct sentence,
tell active from passive voice, or organize and write a document.
When a person like this manages to get hired (perhaps by
a company that has never employed a Tech Writer before),
it makes us ALL look bad.

I think that there is a core group of testable skills that all
good technical writers have. For example:

- good working knowlege of grammar and usage
- the ability to take a set of badly written and disorganized
notes and organize them into a readable, well-organized
manual (or other document).
- audience analysis skills

Of course we all develop sub-specialties and areas of
expertise. But without solid writing skills, you can't
be a good Technical Writer, no matter what your other
abilities are.

I think there's a bit of fear associated with setting up
"certification" tests. What if I took the test and failed?
Would I have to stop being a Tech Writer? Or take a cut
in pay? On the other hand, they could also be a good
thing -- personally, if I have weaknesses in any basic
skills, I damned well want to know about it, so that I can
do something about it.

Mu .02 worth,

Penny Staples
pstaples -at- airwire -dot- com