Re: Updating Hard Copies of Existing Manuals

Subject: Re: Updating Hard Copies of Existing Manuals
From: "Parks, Beverly" <ParksB -at- EMH1 -dot- HQISEC -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 08:30:58 -0700

>From: Ann Mackenzie[SMTP:AnnMacknz -at- AOL -dot- COM]
>>
>Biggest problem with doing this is that many people will not take the time to
>insert the pages, they'll get lost or stacked in corners, and phone calls to
>your help line will escalate.
<<

-----------
While I tend to agree with Ann and everyone else who said that page
changes usually go unimplemented, there is even a *worse* solution that,
thankfully, seems to be dying out.

In the government, in addition to page changes where entire pages had to
be swapped out, the more common method was to issue paragraph changes.
These were pages that referenced individual paragraphs throughout a
document detailing how the paragraph was changed. Sometimes it was just
a changed word or two, sometimes entire sentences, and sometimes entire
paragraphs were rewritten. You were expected to make *handwritten*
changes to the referenced paragraphs! Compared to doing this, swapping
out whole pages was a marvel of convenience.