Re: Document Planning

Subject: Re: Document Planning
From: KAREN_OTTO -at- HP-SPOKANE-OM2 -dot- OM -dot- HP -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:19:04 -0600

Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
Matt,

You said,

>I am in the document planning stages again for a document that I have
>already rewritten twice to meet new "requirements" from our client.
>The
>upside is the fact that I can do it however I deem appropriate. The
>downside is that I am not sure of myself. I have my own *opinion* on
>style, but I just don't *KNOW* what is best.

If the document has been rewritten twice, I would venture to guess
that you cannot *really* do whatever you deem appropriate. You might
ask some more questions, and see if you can find a hidden agenda.

Secondly (concerning your real problem), you should try the following:

1) Flowchart the tasks each of the four groups, and look at the amount
of overlap that really exists. Use that to model any paper
documentation that you may need. You'll more easily see areas where
you can make things more efficient.

2) Consider creating a decision matrix/flowchart for your customers so
they can choose the tasks/instructions they need for themselves. This
is especially useful if they customer may need more than one of the
flavors.

3)Remember, hyperlinks are our friends! ;-)

karen

karen_otto -at- hp -dot- com